- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups slow-cooked or 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit (apricots, apples, prunes, raisins, etc.), chopped
- 1/4 cup imported green olives, drained, halved, and pitted
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic. Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the ginger, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds to bring out the flavors.
Transfer the mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the green beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, stock, and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
About 20 minutes before serving, add the peas and dried fruit. When ready to serve, stir in the olives and sprinkle with the parsley.