- 1 head broccoli, florets only
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup packed basil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice plus zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound pasta, cooked and drained
Steam broccoli until soft. Add the broccoli, garlic, herbs, and pine nuts to a food processor. Pulse a few times to chop. Add the cheese, lemon juice and zest. Drizzle in olive oil while pulsing until you reach desired texture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss prepared pasta with the pesto. Garnish with additional cheese if desired.
Variation: Use 3 cups of packed fresh spinach leaves instead of the broccoli.