- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup melted butter or walnut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup tablespoons chopped nuts
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, trimmed and sliced
- 1 stalk rhubarb, diced
- ¼ cup sucanat (unrefined cane sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon tapioca
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix oats, flour and salt together in a bowl. Add butter and sweetener; mix well. Stir in nuts and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sucanat, salt, tapioca and orange juice. Toss gently. Put fruit mixture in an 8X8 pan. Spoon the oat-nut mixture evenly on top of the fruit. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more to crisp the topping.
Read the story + other Spring recipes:: What's In Season: Spring in Kansas City