- 4 cups salad greens (spinach, arugula, lettuce mix)
- 3 asparagus stalks
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 ounces Green Dirt Farm Fresh Plain sheep’s milk cheese*
- ½ cup chopped American Native local organic
- Missouri pecans*
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Cooper’s raw local honey*
- zest of one organic lemon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
Wash the salad greens, drain in a colander, and pat dry. Place in a large salad bowl.
Lay one asparagus stalk at a time flat on a cutting board to create ribbons. Holding onto the tough end, use a vegetable peeler to shave off thin ribbons, peeling from tough end of stalk to tip. (A Y-shaped peeler is ideal for this, but a regular peeler will work, too). Discard the tough ends after peeling. Decorate the top of the salad greens with ribbons.
Sprinkle strawberries, crumbled sheep’s milk cheese, and pecans onto salad, and set aside while making the dressing.
Place vinegar, honey, lemon zest, and sea salt into a small bowl, and whisk together. Slowly add the olive oil, and continue whisking to emulsify. Stir in poppy seeds.
Dress salad just before serving. Keep any extra dressing in a tightly sealed mason jar for up to two weeks.
Read the story + other Spring recipes:: What's In Season: Spring in Kansas City